God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, June 22, 2014

Warning Signs

I was cruising down the highway on my way to get some Sunday lunch at a local restaurant when I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw flashing blue lights. Not a good sign.

I pulled over and the imposing vehicle behind me followed me to the side of the road. I got out my driver’s license, knowing what was about to happen.

“Ma’am I clocked you at 60 mph,” the officer said as I handed him my identification.
“OK,” I mumbled, as he walked back to his car to check my record and find out whether I was a criminal or not.

The heat was stifling, but I dared not turn the key to roll down the other window for fear he would think I was making a run for it. How long could it take to check a record?

By the time he returned and handed me back my license, my face was dripping with sweat and I was starting to wilt. “I’ll just give you a warning this time, but be aware of the speed limit on our roads.”

“Yes, sir and thank you,” I replied as I started the engine and enjoyed the cool air from the air conditioner blowing in my face at full blast.

I got off easily that time. Thankfully.

We have warnings come our way all the time. They are there for our protection. Storm warnings tell us to take shelter. Road signs tell us of danger ahead. The warning I received from the officer told me to slow down.

When warnings are not heeded, we get into trouble. God speaks in that still, small voice warning us of things we shouldn’t do, or warning us of consequences if we don’t do something we should.

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts” Colossians 3:15.

When God’s peace is ruling in our hearts, we know we are listening to the warnings He so lovingly directs. Disaster is averted and we reap the benefits of obedience.


What warning signs have you seen come your way and how have they helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment