God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, July 30, 2017

Guidance with God or Decisions with Disaster?

By Barbara Latta

Any Decision Can Turn Disastrous Without God’s Direction

I ran away from home when I was seven.

Not literally, but at the time my mother must have thought her child had deserted the family.
Any decision can turn disastrous without
God's direction.
In the 1960’s kids walked to school or rode bicycles if the distance didn’t necessitate boarding the school bus. On the way home one day, one of my friends invited me to go to her house with her so I made the detour. Arriving at her home, the family piled in the car and drove to the country to see her grandmother. We had fun feeding the chickens and playing for a while and then it was time to go back home.

They dropped me off at my house where I was greeted with a wooden paddle that had originally housed a rubber ball on a string, but that day served a different purpose.

My seven-year-old mind didn’t think about calling my mother to tell her where I was. I just thought she would somehow know so I went my own way and did my own thing and suffered the consequences.

Lessons from Jericho

Do not let all the people go up; only about two or three thousand men need to go up to Ai; do not make all the people toil up there, for they are few (Joshua 7:3 NASB).

The Israelites had recently seen the walls of Jericho fall and they conquered the city. Only Rahab and her family were spared because of their promise to her for protection because she had hidden the spies.

The city of Ai was now before them and did not have the strength or numbers of Jericho. Those who reported back to Joshua after scouting out the land told him they could easily win the battle with only a few men. No need to take everyone. We can do this.

They came running back in defeat because they were:

struck down on the descent so the hearts of the people melted and became as water (7:5).


Joshua fell on his face before God asking why He had deserted them. God told him the people had sinned and did not obey His instructions at Jericho. Someone had taken the spoils from the city and kept them.

After the congregation repented and followed God’s guidelines, victory was the prize and the city of Ai was captured.

Record Victories and Remember
God is our guiding force for decisions.

We need to keep a record of the victories in our lives as God delivers us from temptations and situations. But we also need to remember why we were delivered. If we allow pride in ourselves to grow, we can become like the Israelites and think we can do this on our own. This one is easy we don’t need God for this.

Jesus said, …apart from me you can do nothing (John 15:5b). Every day we face issues of some kind. We can get guidance from God or make decisions that reap disaster. Small tasks can turn into monstrous results without the direction of the Lord Almighty.

He is our guiding force and nothing is so big he can’t handle it or too small for him to care about.

By the way, I never went anywhere again without asking my mother!

How have you handled facing decisions whether difficult or simple?

TWEETABLES


No comments:

Post a Comment