God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, October 7, 2018

How Can I Know if I Love God Enough?


by Barbara Latta

Many Christians strive over these questions:

How can I know if I love God enough?

How do I know if I love God enough?
Am I doing enough to show God I love Him?
What else do I need to do?
If I sin, does that mean I don’t love God?
And if I do, is He angry with me?

Once when a Pharisee asked Jesus which command in the law was the most important, Jesus replied, Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind. This is the first and most important command (Matthew 22:37 NCV).

It was a works mentality. They had to perform correctly to show God they loved Him by obeying His commands. If they didn’t do good, they were punished and an animal had to be sacrificed to atone for that sin.

The law is only an unclear picture of the good things coming in the future. It is not a perfect picture of the real things. The people under the law offered the same sacrifices every year. These sacrifices can never make perfect those who come near to worship God. If the law could make them perfect, the sacrifices would have already stopped. The worshipers would be made clean, and they would no longer feel guilty for their sins (Hebrews 10:1-2).

The law could not make them perfect because no one had the ability to keep it. The animal sacrifice was a temporary solution until the perfect sacrifice came.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth (Romans 10:4 KJV).

Christ death and resurrection ended the works mentality to obtain righteousness. Now because of His sacrifice a believer is made righteous by what Christ did, not by what we do.

So how can we show God that we love Him? By believing what He said and receiving what Christ did. That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye being rooted and
We love Him because He first loved us.
grounded in love may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God
(Ephesians 3:17-19).

Am I doing enough to show God I love Him? We can never do enough. We just need to fellowship with Him. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:4-5).

What else do I need to do? Nothing. Jesus did it all. Jesus plus works = self-righteousness; Jesus plus nothing = righteousness.  Herein perceive we the love of God because he laid down his life for us (1 John 3:16).

If I sin, does that mean I don’t love God? No, it means he still shows us his mercy even when we do sin. So now those who are in Christ Jesus are not judged guilty. I am not judged guilty because in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit that brings life made me free. It made me free from the law that brings sin and death (Romans 8:1-2 NCV).

If I do sin, is God angry with me? No, he wants to show us His mercy. But you O Lord are a God merciful and gracious slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness ( Psalm 86:15).

We can’t love God without first being filled with the love He has for us. Receiving His love gives us something to love Him back with. Then all the right things we need to do will be an overflow of our relationship with Him, not works we are performing to get Him to love us.
We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).

Have you experienced the love of God in your life? Share your thoughts.

TWEETABLES


No comments:

Post a Comment