God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, December 30, 2018

5 Ways to Find a Focus for the New Year


by Barbara Latta

A lot of people I know choose words each year as a way to obtain change in their lives. I
5 ways to find your focus

had never done this until last year when I chose the word love.

I did this by looking up verses about the love of God and made a notebook out of them to read every day. I can’t say I was as successful as I wanted to be, but it did make me more aware of the importance of whatever we choose to focus on.

Do you have a word or phrase for the year? If not, here are 5 ways to find a focus for the New Year:

  • Think about what you want to change in your life and look up words that apply to that area to discover the one you want to use.
  • Make notes about what you want to accomplish.
  • Write down scripture that applies to your word.
  • Read books or listen to podcasts from authors and speakers who are experts in the area you have chosen.
  • Review your notes and listen or read every day to make sure your mind stays on the chosen word.

As this year comes to an end, the word pursue keeps rolling through my mind for 2019. The definition of pursue according to Merriam Webster dictionary is to find or employ measures to obtain or accomplish.

I want to:
Pursue wisdom –  Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding (Proverbs 4:7 NKJV). I will use the word pursue to seek out wisdom in decisions.
Pursue learning –  I will use my word to learn more about things I am interested in by asking for God’s guidance and for Him to open doors of opportunity. Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths (Psalm 25:5)
Pursue God – I will pursue God by seeking to know Him on a deeper level.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you (Matthew 6:33).

Pursue God
Pursuing God involves all of these things and we can have faith to know that He will deliver what we have asked.
Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).

How can I accomplish the pursuit of God? By renewing my mind in the Word of God (Romans 12:1-2).
  • Pursue God when I feel like giving up. But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded (2 Chronicles 15:7 NIV).
  • Pursue God when depression attacks. You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You (Isaiah 26:3).
  • Pursue God when anger raises its head.  Be angry and do not sin (Ephesians 4:26). If I pursue God I will use anger in a righteous manner like Jesus did. Be angry at sin and not at the sinner.
  • Pursue God when sickness strikes. Who himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed (1 Peter 2:24).
  • Pursue God when I feel worthless. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope
    (Jeremiah 29:11).

To pursue God means He will be controlling my thoughts, actions and attitudes.

Have you discovered your word? If so, what does it mean to you? Join the conversation and share your thoughts.

Happy New Year!

TWEETABLES




No comments:

Post a Comment