God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, October 6, 2013

Blooms, Blossoms, and Dead Leaves


I took a deep breath of cool, fall air as the breeze blew against my face. Orange, red, yellow, and purple trees swathed the mountainside in a palette of color. God's handiwork called for us to stop and enjoy the view.

As I looked over the valley between the mountains the wind blew leaves from the trees in front of my face. I captured one and admired its brilliant color. This leaf was detached from its life giving source. It would soon wither and fade and become mulch on the ground as it decayed. It's purpose had been accomplished and it was time for the tree to let go and make room for the new growth spring would bring.

Our lives can become cluttered with dead leaves. We hold on to old things that still look good to us because it is familiar or has been a way of thinking for a long time. But new growth cannot begin until the old is detached and discarded. One of the things I have needed to change is a feeling of inadequacy. I have been asked to fill a leadership position in a group I am a member of and it will often require being a speaker or teacher. I have never thought of myself as a leader, but I can't grow and become what I want to be as long as the dead leaves of feeling unqualified stay attached to me. I have to depend on viewing my image based on who I am in Christ.

Even if what you are holding on to was once beautiful, like the leaves it's purpose could be now be dead. It's time for new growth. Blossoms and blooms can only appear when the dead has been discarded.


Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

No comments:

Post a Comment