God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Saturday, February 1, 2020

Consistency is the Key to Change


by Barbara Latta

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men knowing that from the Lord you
Consistency is the key to change
will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ
(Colossians 3:23-24 NKJV).

Are you ever frustrated because change in your life avoids you? Do you have hit and miss regularity in tasks, study or goals?

I have struggled with working in consistency for a long time. Maybe I had too many projects, or maybe I was just experiencing lack of discipline. 

One day while reading about laboring to rest in Hebrews, I meditated on that lesson and thought more deeply about God’s rest. Resting means listening, absorbing and turning off everything but God’s Word.

When I rested, I could hear. And what I heard in my spirit was, Consistency is the key.

Consistency is the key? What does that mean, Lord?

Then I remembered that I had been asking Him why my life was filled with so much frustration. It was because I wasn’t disciplined and consistent in anything I was doing. My writing was in bits and pieces, not in a scheduled time like I hear all the successful writing teachers say we should do. Bible reading was when I had time in the morning, or a quick devotion at lunch and the exercise…well let’s just say the treadmill makes a good storage rack.

Consistency and diligence can be twin characteristics. According to the dictionary, consistency is harmony or conduct of practice with profession[1] and the word diligence is defined as steady, earnest and energetic effort: persevering application [2].

My loving heavenly Father was telling me that achievement depended on steadfastness in whatever goal is being pursued. 
Paul lived a life of consistent discipline. Even when he was terrorizing Christians, he never wavered from his goal. His misplaced passion pushed him toward what he thought was a defense of God. After encountering Christ, that same passion was now guided in the right direction. When he was persecuted, he didn’t give in. He didn’t forget the task God had laid upon his shoulders and the world at that time was turned upside down because of his influence. Diligence in his work caused him to write most of the New Testament and his words are still impacting us today.

He wrote from prison. Chains and bonds didn’t stop him. He continued to travel. Shipwrecks and storms didn’t stop him. He was told to keep quiet. Threats didn’t stop him.

He pushed through the hardships of life and pressed toward the prize of the high calling of Christ (Philippians 3:14).

We are all given a high calling from Christ. We are not the Paul’s and Peter’s but we do have a sphere of influence. What we do in our personal lives will spill over into relationships. Constant faithfulness in following Christ and His Words will determine how powerful that impression will be.

The most consistent person who ever lived was Jesus. We have no better example of life and discipline. When people were pulling him in every direction, He still took the time to spend with His Father because it was the most important thing in His life—even when it meant losing sleep and praying all night (Luke 6:12).

If consistency and diligence reign, it’s easier to put priorities in order. When Christ is the most important person in our lives, we can hear what He is saying. Consistency drowns out distractions, strengthens resolve against attacks and builds new habits that can last a lifetime.

The power of consistency has shown me the key to success, and a rewarded life has been my prize.

What have you learned about consistency in your life? Join the conversation and share your thoughts.


This post is an excerpt from my contribution in the Lighthouse Bible Studies compilation, The Power to Make a Difference which is a collection of short Bible studies written by 27 authors. It is available at Amazon and Lighthouse Bible Studies

Visit my Amazon author page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment