God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, January 4, 2015

The First Resolution is Don't Look Back

Almost everyone and everything will be focused on New Year’s Resolutions for a few weeks. We will hear about losing weight, saving money, cleaning and exercising, starting new businesses or going back to school.  However, rather than making resolutions each year that I will not be able to keep, I prefer to make small changes in certain areas of my life and become consistent in them to bring myself to the rewards I want to obtain.

Before making any lists, I want to start the New Year with being thankful for all the blessings of last year. Even if you had a bad year with some mishaps or unpleasant circumstances, you can still find something to be thankful for. Instead of beating yourself up for missed goals or opportunities, look at what you did that helped yourself or others.

Here are some of the things I am thankful for:
  • The month of December brought serious illness to some of my family members. I am very grateful for their improving health and thankful for the family I have.
  • We recently found out our oldest son and his wife are expecting their first child. 2015 will be the year we become grandparents.
  • Our youngest son completed a mission trip to Dominican Republic.
  • Despite the problems in our government, I am thankful to be living in the greatest nation on earth.
  • I am thankful for Christmas and the gift of Jesus God gave to all of us. Because of Him we can look to each New Year with hope and anticipation for what He has in store for us.
  • Lastly, I am thankful for these words penned by the Apostle Paul: “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).


Don’t spend this year looking in the mirror of regret about last year’s mistakes or missed goals. This is a new year with a new purpose.

What are you thankful for about last year and what do you see for yourself in 2015?


No comments:

Post a Comment