by Barbara Latta
Proper maintenance is essential to enjoying a lush and beautiful lawn.The following tips can bring grass to the desired level of beauty and health.
|Proper mowing for a beautiful lawn|
- Don’t cut too short – cool weather grasses should be 2 ½ - 3 ½ inches, warm weather grasses 1-3 inches. Cutting too short can leave dry brown patches and expose roots.
- Watch your speed – going too fast can leave uneven clumps and prevent tall grasses from being cut at all.
- Keep eyes forward – looking ahead a few feet can keep rows straighter than if you stare down at the tires of your mower.
- Mulch while cutting – leaving the clippings can provide nutrients for the lawns health.
- Overlap rows – make passes a few inches overlapping the previous run to ensure no uncut strips remain.
- Sharpen blades – start the season with new or sharpened blades for a clean cut to prevent tearing the ends of the grass which can invite disease and pests to invade.
|Keep grass at proper height|
Using the proper mowing techniques can provide a healthy and beautiful lawn all summer long.