God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, February 28, 2016

How Do We Value People?

By Barbara Latta

“Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?”(Luke 15:8 NKJV).

Lots of pennies can add up to value
As we walked along the sidewalk outside a busy retail center, my husband bent down and picked up something off the ground. He held his find out to me and I saw a folded dollar bill in his hand.

“Wow, you found a dollar!” I said, as excited as if he had found a twenty.

Later, while we were getting into our car, I looked down and saw a penny’s face shining in the sun. I stepped over it and got into the vehicle without paying much attention to what was on the pavement.
After we drove away, God kept that penny on my mind. Why didn’t I pick it up? Why didn’t I get as excited about that coin as I did about the folded bill? 

Because that small piece of copper had so little value to me I didn’t think the money was worth taking. But the Lord reminded me  if I took one penny away from our find I would only have ninety-nine cents. Each penny has a purpose. All of them together make the whole dollar.

Do we look at people the same way? Do we see those who are elevated to celebrity status as more
Do we see people the way God does?
significant than an ordinary person or a homeless beggar on the street? If we overlook someone because they don’t stand out and shine, are we saying they are worthless?

The woman in Luke 15 stopped everything she was doing to look for her lost coin. She could have been satisfied with the nine she had, but the missing one meant so much to her she was willing to sacrifice her time until she found her treasure. No matter how many people come to the Lord, one more lost soul is worth the sacrifice God made to save them. How can I dismiss that by putting more importance on some than others?

God loves the world
From now on when I see pennies I am reminded of people. A small coin helps me remember to put value on human souls and try to see them the way God does.

Can you think of a time when the Lord put someone on  your heart who had been overlooked by others? Share your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment