God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Saturday, January 11, 2020

In our busy world, can we really be still and know God?


by Barbara Latta

Do you have a word to focus on for 2020?

Finding a word for the year has become a trending activity and it helps us grow in the area we have chosen. This makes an easier goal setting task for me than making a list of resolutions.

As I was praying about what word I should use for this year, I heard “listen.”

Along with that word came Psalm 46:10, Be still and know that I am God.

In our busy world, can we really be still and know God?

The words “be still” may not mean for us to completely stop moving all the time, but there is an amazing difference when we take a few minutes to stop everything – TV, social media, work, music and just ponder God. In our busy activity, just stop and be still.

Our world is so overwhelming with busyness and noise, we think we don’t have time to be still. We need to finish the “to do” list. But if your list is like mine it never gets to the end anyway.

So, this year I want to stop more often. Yes, just do nothing for a few minutes every day and just listen.

Listen. Rest. Refresh.

What is He saying right now at this time to me?

What do I need to study in His Word?

Keep the mind still.

The New American Standard Version says, “cease striving.”

Stop being anxious.

Trust Him.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7 NKJV).

This is one of my favorite go-to scriptures. And this describes “cease striving.”

This says to me to stop trying to make things happen and just follow His Word.

Rest in His arms and absorb Him.

Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your high God, above politics, above everything (Psalm 46:10 The Message).

Above politics, yes! As we get away from everything negative we can refocus on the positive God who loves us and is above everything.

Do you have a word for the New Year?

Feel free to share your thoughts and vision for 2020.


2 comments:

  1. Ethel Lytton1/12/20, 8:18 PM

    Psalm 143:10 is a favorite of mine...since I have vertigo, I desire to be on level ground and I want God leading me. The Message gives a good perspective on it. So far, Barbara, my word is order. Order in my conversation and relationships, order in my home (I'm STILL spring cleaning which started last March!), and order regarding what I allow to steal my time (social media, my cell, and organizations that are not beneficial to my spiritual health). I have been working on a devotion about this. Thank you for posing this question which many struggle with. I will be sharing this post, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That verse is the theme for this blog, Ethel, because I want to be led by God and hearing His voice about what I need to post. Your word for order is a great one to give you organization for your year. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete