God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Friday, June 9, 2023

The Benefits of Silence

 

by Barbara Latta @barbaralatta 

“Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10 NKJV).

I sat outside early one morning sipping my coffee and listening as birds graced the air with their songs. The air was unusually cool for a summer day and the breeze was refreshing. I watched a squirrel scurry down a tree and investigate something on the ground. A small, green lizard perched on the arm of my chair, its throat pulsating with orange. It stared at me for a few moments before scampering away in search of an insect meal. God’s creation was in symphony and my soul was at rest.

But as peaceful as this scene was there was still some noise. The noise of nature is beautiful with the chirping birds and the gentle wind blowing, but have you ever contemplated the benefit of total silence?

One of the instructors at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference that I just returned from was Eva Marie Everson. I purchased her book, The Third Path, Finding Intimacy with God on the Path of Questioning. I had intended to buy this book months earlier, but you know how intentions are, they don’t produce anything.

But I am glad I was finally in the place where this tome was before me and I grabbed it, excited to find out about the third path. This journey carries us through twenty-six questions God asked different people throughout the Bible and the result of their answers.

What is our answer to these same queries? How do they affect our lives, decisions, and relationship with our heavenly Father?

The goal of this volume is to encourage us to get away with God and experience total, complete silence. A quietness that is not disturbed by even the squeak of a door or the tick of a clock.

Then listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit.

When the Lord tells us to be still and KNOW that He is God, He is commanding us to put away everything else that gets in the way. We can find out more about our identity in Christ by KNOWING Him in a way we never have before. 

If you want to pursue a deeper relationship with God, I can highly recommend this book to help you think deeply about who you are and what the Lord means to you. You can find out the benefit of silence.

Join the conversation and share your thoughts. 

Find out the benefit of silence through The Third Path by Eva Marie Everson (click to tweet)


Image courtesy of  bess.hamiti@gmail.com


 

 

 

 

19 comments:

  1. I was blessed to have Ms. Eva Marie sign my copy, and hope you did also. There's something about an author's signature and inscription that adds value to the book in my eyes anyway. I was also most blessed to be a part of this year's "Discovering Who You Are in Christ" practicum based on her book. What a soul-searching, eye-opening experience; one that every Christian writer should have. If you've not yet taken her course, please reach out to her and get your name on the list for next year. I cannot recommend this class enough. The relationships I formed with the other participants, as we shared our hearts with one another, are blessings I'll hold onto for eternity. Loved this post, as I always do, Ms. Barbara. Thank you and God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed up for this class too late but really wanted to be part of it. I know your life was enriched. Thanks for sharing, J D. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Barbara. Being silent to hear from God before we tackle any project or situation is critical if we want to do things His way.. Thank you for sharing these thought and resource .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing from God is vital for our success in any project. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I treasure my time in the silence of nature, but as you point out, it isn't really quiet. But the noise of the wind, birds singing, or farm animals calling to one another are different than voices, traffic, or our phones chirping a text. Nature's sounds remind me of the creator who made us all and guides our steps. Eva Marie's book is awesome. Thank you for featuring it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have the opportunity for lots of time with nature, Katherine, and that you can enjoy God's creation. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Barbara, thanks for sharing. I want to take this class too! I've heard nothing but good things about it. Nothing stills me quite as much as being in nature. I was right there with you.
    Candyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, we can make this class next time, Candyce. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With people always coming and going in my household, quiet time is so precious to me. The practice of being with God in silence and meditating on an aspect of His character brings unbelievable refreshment not matter what life holds. Thanks for this recommendation, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meditating on God does bring a refreshment like no other. I really gleaned so much from this book. Thanks for sharing, Annie. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Being still and silent is certainly a discipline in our modern world. Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Debbie. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Yvonne Morgan6/18/23, 8:37 PM

    I think many of us have forgotten to spend time in silence. The world is so full of noise that can block out the son. I went on a silent retreat once and found a profound connection with God. So I love your post Barbara. We must find quiet to spend with God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A silent retreat sounds like an eye opening experience. Thanks for sharing, Yvonne. Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much Barbara for the encouragement to get that book! I've also meant to for a while, but still haven't. I love the way you opened your post. Silence with God is a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will be encouraged by this book. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Barbara, I love this statement: "When the Lord tells us to be still and KNOW that He is God, He is commanding us to put away everything else that gets in the way." When I struggle to slow down and focus on Him in the middle of a busy day, I'm always glad I did. Mornings are easier, but being still to communicate with our heavenly Father throughout the day is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jeannie. Communicating with our Father during the day certainly does make our daily routine more successful. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete