God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Monday, October 13, 2014

Fresh and Flourishing

Both our sons had birthdays within the last three weeks. The cards and wishes remind us of time that has passed and I reflect on where it went.  I look in the mirror and see the sags that weren't there last year and age looks back at me. 


We are all aware of celebrities and others in the public eye who spend thousands of dollars each year on repeated nips, tucks, and injections because they can’t stand the thought of looking old. I don’t know of anyone who wants to appear decrepit, but changing the outside doesn’t change the inside. Somehow they think if they change their looks, they are becoming younger. But inside they still feel the same, because their mind is on aging. The only thing they have to live for is looking young.

Youthfulness can only come by being planted in the Lord (Psalm 103:5). When our souls are healthy it will be transferred to our physical being. Yes, our bodies will age until we receive a glorified one in Heaven; but we don’t have to let the aging process control us by keeping us in bondage to old thinking.

God says we are blessed when we delight in his law and we will bring forth fruit and our leaf will not wither (Psalm 1:2-3). Staying focused on God and His Word will bring youth to our souls. Meditating on aging can actually speed up the time clock.

While we do whatever we can to keep the outside looking young, we need to remember that the inside is reflected to the outer person. Seeing a wrinkle or gray hair isn’t fun for anybody, but if we see ourselves the way God sees us, those things won’t be devastating to our emotions.

Remembering that I can be a leaf that does not wither will help me next time I see the sags the mirror shouts at me.

What do you do to counter the voices that shout your age?

2 comments:

  1. So true, Barbara! I tell myself how great I look and hang around grandsons who are full of energy. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those kids will keep us young, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete