God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, October 5, 2014

Drink From The Communion Well

We celebrated Christ at church today with the remembrance of Communion. As I held a piece of cracker and a  cup of juice in my hand, I looked at the symbol of Jesus' body. The bread was full of holes, browned in places, and had broken, jagged edges. Without leaven or salt, its taste was bland.

Jesus was baked in the fire of God's wrath when judgment for sin fell upon Him. His body was torn and ragged from whips and cords being slashed across it and he beaten with reeds and sticks. His skin and muscles hung from his bones. His hands and feet were pierced with nails, leaving holes so big light could be seen through them. Sin leaves a bitter taste. 

The cracker is a reminder of all His body went through.

Blood flowed out of His body dripping and pouring onto the ground. My sin and yours washed down the rough wood of the cross, mingled with sorrow, separation, and shame. That blood was placed on the mercy seat of heaven after Jesus' resurrection because atonement had been completed. 

Looking into that cup I see His blood. Because of that, I don't see my sin.

His gift gives us life and He invites us to drink of the water of that life freely. This picture of the well tells me I have to take the bucket and willingly drink.


What does it say to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment