God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Friday, February 4, 2022

Life Lessons From the Groundhog




by Barbara Latta

Punxsutawney Phil has been broadcasting weather for years and a few days ago he told us we would have six more weeks of winter. The oversized rodent is from the family of marmots, or ground squirrels. 

Groundhog Day’s origins can be traced back to Europe where clear skies on Candelmas Day, February 2, indicated more cold weather ahead. The myth grew that if a hedgehog saw its shadow on this day, snow was ahead. When Europeans migrated to America, these traditions came with them and with no hedgehogs in this country, a groundhog replaced the meteorological animal.

 Here are some life lessons we can learn from the groundhog’s habits.

Groundhogs are solitary. They do not like to associate with other animals. As an introvert, I can sympathize with this creature. I wouldn’t say I’m as bad as the groundhog and want to be totally solitary. Once I get to know someone, I am open to talking and friendship, but I have not been one who initiates the conversation or relationships.

 But the Lord tells us, Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. (Hebrews 13:2 NKJV)

 Groundhogs stay close to home. They do not venture too far away from their own territory.

How guilty am I of not wanting to leave my comfort zone? All the isolation caused by the recent pandemic (I don’t even like mentioning it, but it is still an issue out there), has created new online congregations. It is easy to get caught up in watching church on the computer. This takes hardly any effort at all, and habits can be formed that might make it easier to stay at home when physical meetings reconvene.

 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25)

Groundhogs started a tradition. Despite wrong predictions about weather, the tradition continues. Statistics tell us Marmot Phil’s shadow has only calculated correctly 39% of the time.[i]

How much importance do we place on traditions ahead of what the Word of God says? Just because someone said or did something years ago is no reason for us to adopt that way of thinking. It is up to us to dig into the Bible and find out the truth about all things.

 Making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do. (Mark 7:13)

Some fun trivia

Answer to the age old puzzle: How much wood can a woodchuck chuck? Groundhogs are sometimes referred to as woodchucks although they do not chuck wood. A wildlife biologist  wanted to find out what the answer to this puzzle would be. If the hole a woodchuck burrows could be filled with wood it would take around 700 pounds of chucked wood. So, now we know!

 

What do you think about Groundhog Day? Join the conversation.

 

The groundhog’s habits can teach us lessons about our own life. (click to tweet)

 

12 comments:

  1. Can't really say I think too much about groundhogs Ms. Barb, but I do think guarding against getting too comfortable in our isolation (especially in these pandemic days). While my wife and I are grateful to be back at church and able to join in "corporate worship", I too see many who have decided to use Covid as an excuse to stay home in their PJs. What started as an outreach to help bring worship to those who couldn't get out, has become a crutch for many who simply don't want to. This isn't to say that those who are high-risk or health-compromised shouldn't be cautious; and I believe some are also controlled by the great fear that government and media sensationalism has caused. Still, there's some who have chosen to not return because they have grown to prefer their isolation and comfort over worshipping God in the way He intended, as part of a "family of faith." Just one old farmer's observation and opinion my friend. Great post with amazing parallels. I would have much preferred to keep to myself and did my job in a solitary fashion, but truth is that when we come together we can achieve more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to attend a service at our home church in December when we went home. The attendance was down some and I know it was partly due to the elderly membership that finds it difficult to get out in the colder weather and also due to sickness. I hope and pray all church members everywhere will not stay home simply because it got too comfortable. Thanks for your farmer's opinion, J.D. I really appreciate it every time! Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I agree that we need to be ready to step out of our comfort zones. Flexibility helps us form communities in new ways as you point out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, flexibility does help us and I am one that sometimes needs to motivate myself to get out of that comfort zone. God does help us to stretch our wings and fly out of the nest. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Like J.D., I recognize the nuisance that groundhogs are on a farm or ranch. They are destructive when it comes to gardens and often cause damage to building foundations by digging their burrows. But we can learn lessons from all God's creatures. As a fellow introvert, I identify with the need for quiet time and introspection. However, we are created to be social and are called to gather together in worship. I know God is with us as individuals, but there is something special about gathering together to praise and worship our Lord. Thank you for a fun and inspiring message, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as an introvert, I am glad God created us as social creatures. We need interaction and fellowship and we don't want to be like the groundhog. He gives us individual gifts that we introverts can use too. Thanks for sharing, Katherine. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I never thought I'd have somethings in common with a groundhog, but here we are. ;-) It can be hard to step out of my comfort zone even if I believe it's something I should do. And how many times have I fallen into the "it's always been this way" trap? Too many to count. You've given me food for thought next year on Groundhogs Day and hopefully many times in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I never thought I would identify with that little critter either. When I read about him (or her) on Groundhog Day, I could see similarities in me too. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. This post is packed with truth, Barbara. How easy it is to follow traditions instead of truth. I enjoyed learning facts I didn’t know and seeing truth explored even in the groundhog story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how God can teach us lessons about life from His creation? I enjoyed learning things I didn't know also. Thanks for sharing, Jeannie. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for helping me learn about Groundhog Day. I just remember the movie where the guy has to repeat his life over and over until he gets it right. I agree that it is not good to be isolated and without the body of Christ. God has given those to us for our good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I always think of that movie too. It does give us a laugh. God made us for fellowship and one thing this pandemic has done is cause isolation. It is another ploy of the devil to separate us from corporate worship. When we use the armor the Lord has given us we can defeat that lying enemy. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete