God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Friday, March 24, 2023

Divine Appointments

 



by Barbara Latta

I inhaled the strong aroma of coffee and looked forward to the filled mug that would provide a taste of one of my favorite brews. I had anticipated a visit to our favorite coffee shop since rising one morning a few days ago. 

My husband, Ken, and I entered the building, a restored historic structure with gorgeous hardwood floors, huge ceiling beams from original wood, and stucco walls with crumbled spaces that exposed the old brick underneath.

When we walked in the door we expected coffee but never anticipated a divine appointment.

Customers crowded around the counter to order their favorite drink. Most of the tables on the first floor were filled. I saw a couple of empty ones but decided to go to the lower floor where we had never ventured before. I traversed the stairs to save us a place to sit while Ken ordered our coffee.

After we received our coffee and scrumptious cinnamon roll we were “entertained” by the guy at the next table having a conversation with someone online. Technological talk emitted from his mouth faster than a fiber optic cable transmits the internet.

On the other side of where we sat there was a group of people enjoying a Bible study discussion. Hmmm, which conversation would be most beneficial to our ears?

That was a no-brainer, so we gathered our food and drink to move to chairs on the outside of their circle. We eavesdropped through a lesson from the book of James.

Once they dismissed, we introduced ourselves and thanked them for letting us listen for a few minutes. The people were most gracious and invited us to come back anytime for their weekly meetings.

I think this was a divine appointment because I had never before been impressed to go downstairs at this coffee shop. We have experienced many occasions where we have met people we never would have otherwise, and I know God led us to be connected.

We enjoy motorcycle rides with dear friends simply because Ken changed the date of his riding class after he bought his first Harley. He had no obvious reason to alter his class choice other than an impression to do so. Had he attended on the original schedule, we wouldn’t know our riding buddies.

Our choice of where to build the house we now live in connected us to awesome neighbors who have grown into another friendship. We met the pastor and his wife from the church we attended in Korea from what some would call a chance meeting, but we know this was another divine appointment. An unusual meeting at an airport more than 40 years ago produced a special bond with a couple we are still in touch with.

God draws us to different places in our lives that end up being that divine appointment where we connect with people we stay with for the rest of our lives. These meetings are not coincidences but Spirit-led connections. (click to tweet)

The Bible is filled with people who were in the right place at the right time to encounter a blessing from the Almighty they would have missed otherwise. Think about Rahab. She came in contact with the Hebrew spies, hid them, and her life as well as her family’s lives, were saved. She married an Israelite and was an ancestor of King David.

 Ruth was led to glean in the fields of Boaz who later became her husband, and she was the great-grandmother of David.

Jesus prayed before choosing His twelve apostles, but each one still had to accept His invitation. The men were conducting their daily tasks when Jesus walked by. The Spirit drew them to the Son, but every man had to choose to follow that inner persuasion. We could list others where the Lord supernaturally put people together for a purpose.

 I am so thankful for these divine appointments in our lives. We are richer because we followed these inclinations, and I don’t want to think about what we would have missed had we ignored those inner promptings.

 Paul tells us in Ephesians 3:20 NKJV, Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.

Notice the last part of this verse says we receive above all we can ask or think because of the power at work in us.  The power of the Spirit within us brings us this abundance.

Our acceptance of Christ’s sacrifice gives us access to His power. Because we are given the ability to live in His identity, we can hear the Spirit’s voice.

 What about you? Have you experienced some divine appointments? 

 


25 comments:

  1. Too often we think of divine appointments as coincidences. But God is working behind the scenes orchestrating and arranging for His purpose to work in our lives. One example for me was a “coincidental” meeting of a friend in a mall that I hadn’t seen for years. It turned out we were each in a difficult life season and were able to encourage each other in months and years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful testimony. God led you and your friend to meet again so you could encourage each other. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. God has blessed me with too many divine appointments and circumstances -- big and small -- to count! I love your Bible study story.

    I'll share a divine appointment that connected me with you. :-) I sent something to the local paper the first time some of my devotionals were published (looking back, that was rather conceited but God was kind to me and used it for something good). They wrote an article about it, which Colleen saw, which led her to email and invite me to writer's group. How much I would have missed if I hadn't met you and everyone else through that! God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I am so blessed by all the friends I met through EMACW. I don't want to think about the void that would have been in my life without that group. I am so thankful you and I reconnected. You are a wonderful friend. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. And the same to you, my friend! :-)

      Delete
  3. I've had divine appointments and they were life changing for me. Of course, that's what our walk with Jesus really is. We are changed forever when we accept Him as our Savior and we are continually shaped and molded by our Father to be more like Jesus each day. Sometimes the molding is painful, but it's always a blessing. I'm so glad your coffee date became a divine appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These divine appointments do change our lives. Shaping and molding can be painful but the outcome is always for the better. He changes us to make us better. Thanks for sharing, Katherine. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Am always humbled when God presents us opportunities to bless or be blessed by others. I sometimes wonder how many divine appointments have I missed because I was too busy or too self-absorbed to respond to that feeling to go/be somewhere, or to engage that stranger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered the same thing, J.D. Have I missed opportunities because I wasn't tuned in to the voice Of God? Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Looking back on my life, I think divine appointments happened more than I realized at the time. I’m certainly more aware aware of them now, thankfully. Thanks for this!
    Candyce Carden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have grown older and missed a few,like J.D. mentioned, I rry to be more aware of divine interventions that may come my way. Thanks for sharing, Candyce. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Barbara, I love this. I've experienced those divine appointments. They thrill me as they remind me of my heavenly Father's involvement in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you described these encounters as thrilling. That is exactly what they do for us. Thanks for sharing, Debbie. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Barbara, I enjoyed reading about your divine appointments, especially the one in the coffee shop. I met my husband and some godly friends through divine appointments. Sometimes we later realize our trials were divinely arranged for our good and God's glory. Your post makes me stand on tiptoe waiting to see what might happen tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's amazing that you met your husband in this way. God knows what He is doing! Thanks for sharing, Jeannie. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a divine appointment last weekend when I was out with my church sharing the love of God in a local park. One man we went to share the gospel with wound up ministering to me. I was blessed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great how God does that? What a blessing for you. Thanks for sharing, Joanna. Blessings!

      Delete
  10. I've had many divine appointments on airplanes, Barbara. One I distinctly remember was with a Russian flight attendant who was not a Christian but said she believed God had sent me to her. I still pray for Alla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's amazing, Annie. Thanks for sharing this divine appointment. Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Yvonne Morgan4/3/23, 9:53 AM

    I love God’s divine appointments like the ones you mentioned. They are such a blessing. Thank you for sharing Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those appointments are definitely a blessing. Thanks for sharing, Yvonne. Blessings!

      Delete
  12. I recently experienced a divine appointment that was life changing. While visiting mom's eye doctor one of the young ladies who worked there offered to help with caregiving. Mom's recent Dememtia diagnosis was overwhelming and I needed help. Nekedra is God sent as she is a loving, trustworthy, and kind young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a wonderful outcome for you and your mom. Thanks for sharing that testimony. Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Barbara, thank you for this post on divine appointments. You are so correct...we are richer when we follow their inclination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy, for stopping by and sharing. Blessings!

      Delete