God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Friday, March 3, 2023

How Can Christ be Both the Lion and the Lamb?


 by Barbara Latta

I have enjoyed the recent days of unseasonably warm February weather. In Georgia, we never know what we will see each day. Winter in the south can feel like that season only lasts a few days while some years the cold doesn’t want to end. Lately the wonderful upper 70’s and sunshine has spoiled me thinking spring is really here.

But according the Farmer’s Almanac, our last frost date is around March 30 so I know cold air is still in my future.

All my life I have heard the saying, “If March comes in like a lamb it will go out like a lion.” Wind and storms are in the forecast for the next few days so this must mean March of 2023 will arrive like a roaring lion of unpredictable weather.

This analogy reminds me of how Christ is the Lamb of God and the Lion of the tribe of Judah. How can He be both?

Jesus arrived on earth to be the Lamb of God. He was born as the Lamb to take away our sins with His sacrifice on the cross. After His death, He resurrected as the Lion of the tribe of Judah because He defeated death and the grave. He conquered satan’s power as the Lion.

Because of His victory we are redeemed. His blood paid for our transgressions and brought us into the kingdom of God.

He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love. (Colossians 1:13)

As His children we are given all the rights of our royal inheritance. When we don’t live according to the gifts He gave us we miss out on the benefits of His legacy.

If March’s arrival or departure simulates a lion the results could be destruction, which we hope will not happen. But Christ, the Lion, doesn’t arrive to destroy lives He gives life. He only destroys sin and the devil’s power.

The Lion bestowed upon us His identity and authority to rule over the circumstances that come against us. The wind of anxiety, fear, depression, lack, and sickness have no power over our King. We are saved by the Lamb so the Lion can rule our lives.

For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. (Mark 11:23)

Spring weather can be uncertain. But Christ is our dependable Lion whose promises are always yes and amen.

For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us. (2 Corinthians 1:20)

If you are faced with a situation that causes fear or doubt, turn to the powerful Lion and rest in His security.

What does the Lamb and Lion mean to you? Share your thoughts.

How can Christ be both the Lamb and the Lion? (click to tweet)

 

10 comments:

  1. He is the lamb who was sacrificed to take away our sins, and the lion who defeated satan on our behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has been up and down, cold and hot for the past six weeks. Your anology of "lamb and lion" is so appropriate. I'm so grateful we have the dependability of both, Christ as the Lamb of God, the giver of salvation through His sacrifice--and Christ as the Lion, our protector and defender. Thank you for this inspiring message, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katherine, thank you for this comment--"I'm so grateful we have the dependability of both." Our Lion and Lamb. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. When I think of Christ as lion and the lamb, I try to apply that to my Christian walk. If I am to become like Christ, I must model His character. While I can't offer salvation, I can be as bold as a lion when led by the Spirit to do so in proclaiming the good news. While I can't "fix" every ill or cure every sickness, I can be a powerful "prayer warrior" who boldly storms the halls of heaven with my petition. When I encounter the young, the young in Christ, the sick and infirmed, or the non-believer who is not even sure what they're searching for, I pray I can be as meek and non-threatening as a lamb, I can gently show them what their future might hold if they allow Christ in it. I can't be a sacrifice for their sins, as the traditional lambs were, but I can sacrifice myself and my selfish wants so that Christ might be able to better use me in His service. Lots of thoughts flowing from this post Ms. Barbara. Why am I not surprised this came from you ma'am?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, you state your thoughts with such artistic description, J.D. Your prayer to be like the Lion and Lamb is such an humble petition that flows from a heart that desires to be like Christ. Thanks for sharing this inspiration. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Intriguing post and discussion. How true that Christ is both lion and lamb. Thank you for beautifully illustrating this, Barbara.

    Candyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candyce. I appreciate your thoughts. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I'm so thankful for the lamb who takes away the sins of the world and for the Lion of the Tribe of Judah who rules and reigns. He is both merciful and powerful; forgiving and holding us in account; a divine contradiction that is true love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A divine contradiction--that's a great way to illustrate the Lion and the Lamb. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. Blessings!

      Delete