God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Friday, September 15, 2023

4 Ways Fear Affects Us Plus 5 Solutions We Can Use


by Barbara Latta @barbaralatta

I could say, “Have you ever been afraid?,” but that would be a silly question. Of course, we have all faced fear at some time in our lives. A germ spread panic around the world three years ago. Weather reports or hurricane warnings can instill terror for those in coastal regions as we see more storms forming in the ocean. Terrorism, crime, and rising prices can keep us wrapped in knots of anxiety.

No matter what we do apprehension can grip our hearts if we allow this enemy to grow. But if we give in, this emotion can deter us from success in our lives and can cause health and emotional problems.

Here are 4 effects of fear:

1. Fear paralyzes and disrupts decision making. When we are not thinking clearly, we grasp at whatever sounds good at the moment and act impulsively.

2. Fear divides. Political climates, social media, and news reports all contain various opinions. Escalated emotions can lead to fights and violence either physically or verbally.   

3. Fear overrides hope. When we look at circumstances through the lens of discouragement, we see no resolution to the problem.

4. Fear defeats success. When dread is the prominent thought, there is no room for productivity or creativity. With no hope for the future there is no motivation for growth.

God tells us time after time in His Word to fear not. Of course, He knows the frailty of our humanness and He knew we would face situations that cause alarm. That’s why He gave us His Word as our weapon to combat fear.

King David faced hopeless situations more than once. When he and his men experienced the loss of their families, David’s response was to encourage himself in the Lord (1 Samuel 30:6).

Another psalmist wrote, Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God. (Psalm 43:6 NKJV)

We can learn from David’s example and encourage ourselves in the Lord by following these 5 remedies to the agitation that can plague our souls:

1. Prayer – stay in fellowship with God. Not just to ask Him to take away the afflicting thing, but to fellowship with Him in praise and thanksgiving for who He is—the Almighty, the Omniscient, the King of the universe.

2. Provision of God – He provides for our needs so we shouldn’t panic when prices soar, or supply chains are slow or empty for a time (Philippians 4:19).

3. Protection of God – He gives us His angels to guard and protect us (Psalm 91).

4. Power of God – He is able to do abundantly more than we can ask or think as long as we depend on the power that dwells within us (Ephesians 3:20).

5. Promises of God –God tells us He will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6).

Living in anxiety and worry will not make any problem go away. Trusting the Lord means walking with Him and depending upon Him for answers.

I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4 KJV)

As we learn to live in the identity Christ gave us, we will be able to resist the devil’s tactics more easily because we will be able to recognize that none of this dismay comes from God.  

Join the conversation and share your thoughts.

TWEETABLE

4 Ways Fear Affects Us Plus 5 Solutions We Can Use (click to tweet)

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Barbara, you have given the real and practical effects of fear and the real and hopeful solutions. Years ago, I was in a place with a "what if" fear. My mentor pointed me to scripture-2 Timothy 1:7- God did not give us a spirit of fear, but power, love, and a sound mind. I have drawn on that scripture countless times to remind me of the source of my fear and the source of my hope and peace. Thanks so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding us of that Scripture, Marilyn. I often refer to this word too. When we tell ourselves that fear is not from God, we then know He has given the solution. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I often think of that same Scripture verse that Ms. Marilyn Nutter references above. Fear, as we most often think of it (being afraid) is not of God. It is a worldly trait that was inherited. We teach our children to fear, whether we realize it or not. I loved all your points Ms. Barbara. The best way to combat fear is to face it with the hope of Christ within you. When we remember that when we are in Christ, our ultimate victory has been won, then nothing or no one can prevail against God. Thank you and God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, J.D. I'm glad Matilyn shared that great reminder for us that fear is from our enemy. God has given us the spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Like most of us, I have felt fear and worry. While I know we shouldn't worry and should place our complete trust in God, I admit to continuing to experience worry when it comes to family well-being. But I've made much progress over the years and God continues to show me He is in control--and He's trustworthy. Thank you for this encouraging message, especially the Scripture you share. You're a wonderful role model for us, Barbara. May God continue to bless your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be the poster child for fear, but like you, I am learning to let go and give my feelings to God. Worry won't make fear go away, but trusting in our Lord will. Thanks for sharing, Katherine. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Your post is a tremendous help in these troubled times. I don't think I struggled with fear until Covid. I experienced some anxiety during that time that is still with me. Thankfully, I'd already established a habit of prayer, which sustains me. Your five "P" Points are spot on..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid brought fear to an already fear filled world. Thankfully our God is greater than anything that can make us afraid. Your habit of prayer is how we take God's medicine so you are a great example to us. Thanks for sharing, Candyce. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Yvonne Morgan9/22/23, 12:28 PM

    Thanks for sharing this encouraging message Barbara. I think fear has gripped so many these days and I so glad you offered ways to fight it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear is so prevalent, Yvonne, and attacks us all. God's word is our only hope for relief. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Fear is prevalent in our world today. Thank you for reminding us we have no need to fear as children of God. He even provides the tools and truths you mentioned to help us. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, thanks for sharing this excellent post packed with truth and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete