God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Sunday, March 8, 2015

Combating Negative Thought Patterns


God’s Garden

“Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life” (Proverbs 4:23NKJV).

Remove weeds before they take root
At the end of winter each year, I am anxious to get out of the house and into the warm spring air. My hands itch to get into the dirt and start planting flowers. Usually, some of the bulbs planted in the fall are already bursting through the soil to say hello to the sunshine kissing their petals. Unfortunately, there are unwelcome invaders there, as well.

Weeds that have been dormant all winter are also sprouting and making their presence known. These attackers on the landscape lay hidden among the soil until water and heat feed them. Then they grow among the flowers, unnoticed until it is too late.

Our heart is God’s garden. Discord, bitterness, unforgiveness and anger can get planted in our minds when we entertain thoughts that carry these seeds. Sometimes we may not even know we have allowed them in until the weeds are fed.

Bad thoughts can become weeds
A seed is a very small thing and some are so tiny they can barely be seen. But they grow into giant plants and gargantuan trees. Some attitudes seem insignificant and harmless, but listening to the world’s values can carry dangerous consequences. And if we aren’t careful they have taken up residence before we know they have been planted.

Weeds are harder to pull out the longer we allow them to stay in the ground. The roots become deep and strong and it takes a lot of effort to remove them. Bad thoughts can take root if we don’t eliminate them when they are small. Daily feeding on God’s Word will nourish our minds with good seeds and kill the bad ones before they can become a destructive force.

Cultivating a garden keeps it beautiful, healthy and enjoyable for all to see. A soul full of joy and peace will reflect the God who has been planted in it. We must guard our heart because it is God’s field. No one wants a garden full of weeds.

How do you keep the weeds out of your thoughts? Join the conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    When I am tired or over-extended, I fall prey to "dandelions" in my soul. That's when I fall on my knees and ask God for grace to let go. Writing is another tool which helps. I also talk to my husband or trusted friend. As a recovering perfectionist, I can be pretty hard on myself at times, particularly when comparing myself to others. That's when I'm reminded that grace saved me and grace keeps me. I go to God's word and tell myself what he says about me. I have a lot to say right now because that's where I am. In so doing, he gives me compassion for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your heart, Patricia. I too am reminded when I fall into the weeds that I am not tending my garden like I should. Grace pulls out the bad seeds.

      Delete