God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Monday, March 2, 2015

Wisely Using Our Time


by Barbara Latta

 “See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:16 NKJV)

Reading can be shared
Do you ever board a plane then hope no one will bother you? I use flying time to settle down for some  (hopefully) uninterrupted reading. However,the last time I squeezed into one of those mini-recliners with the attached table that will barely hold a laptop, God had other plans. The lady in the next seat wanted to chat. And chat, and chat. Without taking a deep, annoying sigh, I tried to listen to her. Finally, I got the message and closed the book. When she saw the title I had yet to read, we struck up a conversation about God and I was able to give her my book as we left the plane.

My time on that plane was not my own. God had put me in the seat next to this woman so I could learn to listen and so she could hear His message through the book I gave to her.
Each moment and each day is a gift. What we do with it determines our future and can ultimately affect the future of someone else.

Close contact on planes
We are all so busy with the things of life. Jobs, school, errands, chores, hobbies, and activities all absorb time. We aren’t aware of the seconds ticking by as we go about our business every day, but as each one slips past, it is a day we will never re-live. We can’t put time in a piggy bank and save it like we do money.  Minutes can’t be earned like our salary. Days are not going to be there when we go back to get them. Time passes and then is gone.

If we take a new perspective and treasure each moment as if it were a gold nugget, how differently would we spend our time? Yes, things have to be done. We can’t ignore jobs and school. But if we savor the moments and use each one to glorify God and bless someone else, our time is redeemed. We can praise God even when we are doing ordinary things.
Time is a gift
If I had listened to my first impression while on that plane, I would have “nicely” ignored the woman sitting next to me.  But thankfully, I yielded to God’s whisper and put my agenda on hold while I let my time become someone else’s.

We do need to redeem our time, because the days are evil. Jesus will return soon. 

How do you value your time? Feel free to join the conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment