God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Saturday, May 22, 2021

Five Lessons on Trust from My Little Pavarotti


This week's post is by my friend, Jeannie Waters.  She is an inspiring, award-winning writer whose words reflect a Titus 2 woman with their encouraging focus. I know you will enjoy the lessons a little friend from nature taught her. Please welcome her and share your comments below and follow her social media links.

by Jeannie Waters @jeanniewaters44

I allowed anxiety to gather grass and straw and build a tangled nest in my heart. No major problems plagued me, but tiny remnants of fear and questions about how God works in and through me swirled in my mind.

With my pen, journal, and Bible in hand, I sat on the deck and asked God to help me fight fear and learn to trust Him more. I then heard the first notes of a concert.  

The performer sang to an audience of one—me. A little sparrow belted out an aria, and as he tilted his head upward and increased his volume, I chuckled and named him Pavarotti.

Our loving Teacher used my little Pavarotti Sparrow to emphasize five important truths.

1. God Created Us to Share His Truth.

He designed songbirds to share music with the world, and His creation is their stage. Their songs add beauty whether they’re heard by a large crowd, or in the case of Pavarotti Sparrow, an audience of one.  

Our heavenly Father designed believers to share the good news of salvation in Christ, and He provides a platform for witness and service. We influence other people in the circles where we live, work, shop, travel, and worship. The light of Jesus shines through our words and actions, and our lives demonstrate the peace, joy, and hope we have in Him.  

"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15 NIV).

2. God Fulfills His Purposes Through Nature and Through Us.

God shaped the bodies of birds to fulfill His purposes. The aerodynamic body shape and wings of birds enable them to find food, escape predators, and raise families in safe places. He even gave them tiny feet to grab tree branches and steady their landing.

God created us perfectly and prepares us to serve Him. Our heavenly Father equips each believer with spiritual gifts for kingdom service (1 Peter 4:10-11). When we use our gifts properly, God meets our needs and the needs of people around us, and He receives the glory. Think about how others have met your needs by using their spiritual talents. Which gifts did God give you?

“His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Peter 1:3 NIV).


3. God Shelters Us in Storms.

He designed birds to withstand stormy weather. The oil they apply during preening, makes them water-resistant and able to fly short distances in the rain. During thunderstorms, instinct leads them to shelter under tree branches. 1  

God protects us in the storms of life. Jesus calmed a stormy sea when the disciples cried for help (Matthew 8:23-27), and He provides safety for us during life’s storms. Whether we encounter physical, relational, financial, or other trials, He promises to give us wisdom (James 1:5). Like tiny birds that huddle under tree branches, we can cling to the One who calms the storms when we’re weary or troubled or afraid.

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1 NIV).

4. God Charts Our Paths.

God fashioned each bird’s travel path. He planned suitable habitats for various species of birds and equipped them with unique flight patterns. Sparrows combine flapping and gliding as they fly in an up and down trajectory to cover the desired distance where they live. 2

God charts the paths of believers throughout Scripture. He instructs us to trust Him and reminds us of His faithfulness. Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with other Christians serve as tools to guide our unique paths.

“In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:6 NIV).

5. Morning Brings an Opportunity to Praise God

Dawn cues the music of songbirds. When tiny rays of sunlight pierce the horizon, our winged early-riser friends begin praising their Maker with songs of joy and cheer.

God’s children can arise each morning with songs of praise and worship on our lips, expressing trust as we request directions to serve Him.

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life” (Psalm 143:8 NIV).

From Fear to Faith

Perhaps the lessons from my little Pavarotti Sparrow will help us fight anxiety and fear and rest in God’s plan. As I turned to go into the house, a familiar passage made my heart sing.

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows” (Matthew 10:29-31 NIV).

Which of the sparrow lessons or verses inspires you to trust God and seek His will as you serve Him? Share your thoughts.

5 lessons on trust from my little Pavarotti (click to tweet)

Like tiny birds that huddle under tree branches, we can cling to the One who calms the storms when we’re weary or troubled or afraid (click to tweet)

1 https://www.audubon.org/news/why-do-birds-avoid-flying-rain

2 https://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/03/identifying-small-songbirds-by- flight-style/      



Jeannie Waters is an award-winning devotional and article writer, blogger, and contributor to six compilations (Worthy Inspired and Lighthouse Bible Studies). She serves as a mentor for Word Weavers International and is a regular writer for Refresh Bible Study Magazine, the In the Quiver website, and Hope-Full Living. Her articles have been published by the Christian Broadcasting Network site and Focus on the Family. 

 Jeannie adores creating family memories, cheering for the Georgia Bulldogs, making new friends, and taking just-for-fun hikes. A retired educator, she leads a Bible study/English Club for second language learners. 

Visit Jeannie at www.jeanniewaters.com where she shares her love for Jesus and ideas for Brightening Someone’s Day. Follow her on social media @jeanniewaters44. 

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful reminder that God can and does use all of His creation to remind us of His presence in our lives, when we seek Him. This one's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie's little visitor did give us great lessons on showing us how God provides. Thanks for sharing, J.D. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, J. D. Yes, "His creation reminds us of His presence" and the creative ability He gives us. May we use every gift, minute, and avenue He gifts to us for His glory and the good of those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful reminder of God's love and care for us. Tomorrow, when I go out early in the morning to feed the animals and the birds greet me in joyful chorus, I will think of your message, Jeannie, one of love, joy, hope, and security in the safety of our God. We still face those storms of life, but He will never leave us or forsake us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, what a wise practice to connect our every day life with truths from God's Word. I agree with your assessment: although life's storms threaten, we have "love, joy, hope,and security in the safety of our God." Thank you for adding value to this post.

      Delete
    2. Katherine, I will always think of little Pavarotti when I see a sparrow from now on. These lessons are gems to keep with us at all times. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing ! Particularly powerful #4.and #5. After the Storm or during the storm, as we allow Him to continue. Brings to mind the sunrise and rainbow after the storm. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Patricia. The rainbow and sunrise are powerful reminders of God's providence. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. Patricia, I appreciate your kind comments. Yes, the sunrise and the rainbow offer such promise—just like God’s Word. I’m glad you mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love watching, drawing/painting, and photographing birds. I am inspired by Luke 12:6, similar to the verses from Matthew 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great how God can speak to us through His creation? I bet your bird art is beautiful, Robin. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Robin, I'm thankful you enjoyed the post.I like watching birds, too. They remind me of God's care. What amazing talent you have to draw, paint,and photograph them. I appreciate you adding another verse to bless us.

      Delete
  7. Jeannie,
    I love this post! Number 5 is and it's related Psalm are such encouragements to me right now. I'm going to record that verse and place it on my nightstand so that it's available to read as soon as wake up in the morning. Thank you for these lovely words!

    Peace and grace,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading the word in the morning is the best way to set our mind on God all day. I love that verse too. Thanks for sharing, Tammy. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Tammy, that's a great idea to put a verse beside your bed. What a productive and inspirational way to start the day with our mind on God and His promises. I like to start my day by praying Psalm 143:8. I appreciate your comments so much, Tammy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful message about God's care for us. I love how God gives us pictures in nature of His care for us. Thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I love the nature pictures God gives us, too. While sitting on my deck praying, I notice so many aspects of nature that He uses to teach me. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. Let's watch for His messages this week.

      Delete
  10. I was just commenting to my husband the other day that in the past it was so much easier to see God working through me and me participating in the advancement of His kingdom. These beautiful reminders encouraged me. God designed me and God placed me in this time and place...and even if my "singing" is heard by a smaller audience than in the past, that doesn't mean it glorifies God any less.

    ReplyDelete