God's Roadmap

Now may the Lord Jesus Christ and our Father God, who loved us and in his wonderful grace gave us eternal comfort and a beautiful hope that cannot fail, encourage your hearts and inspire you with strength to always do and speak what is good and beautiful in his eyes (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 TPT).


Saturday, June 26, 2021

How Do We Take Every Thought Captive?

 


by Barbara Latta

More than once in the Bible we are commanded to watch our thoughts. Why? Because our thoughts produce words which eventually evolve into actions.

Depressing thoughts lead to more depression, angry thoughts can escalate into violence, and assumptions that thrive can lead to misjudgments.

With all the negative, suspicious, vile images, and words that surround us in our lives, how can we take every thought that crosses our minds captive?

What does it mean to take thoughts captive?

This is not a problem only for modern day humanity. Paul wrote 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 to a group of people who had come out of an idol worshipping culture.

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (KJV)

The Corinthians formerly led perverse lifestyles. Those past experiences would have surely attacked their minds at times. And anytime they were out in the community, their eyes and ears were seeing and hearing the life they had left being modeled before them.

The temptations of the world have not changed. When we turn on our TV, radios, and electronics those headlines, debates, opinions, advertisements, and entertainment promos compete for our attention with engraved invitations to participate. Just like those that would have enticed the Corinthians, and anyone else who has ever lived.

How do we resist letting these thoughts grab our minds and settle into the mental recliner with a remote replaying images and words?

To take these thoughts captive, we must change the channel. Do a turn around of thoughts. Replace them with God’s thoughts and words. The scripture tells us to cast down imaginations. 

The only way we can do that is to have a steady diet of what He says rather than the world’s menu. Philippians 4:8 tells us to only think on things that are good.

Whatever plagues the mind, there is a solution for it in the Bible. We can do a word study and find those scriptures that medicate our souls with the balm of healing from our heavenly Father.

Here are a few to get started with. You can find those that help you the most. The important thing is to always have these ready as a weapon loaded to attack anything that contradicts what God says.

Thoughts of past hurts He heals the wounds of every shattered heart. (Psalm 147:3 TPT)

Thoughts of past sinsAs far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12 NKJV)

Thoughts of anxietyDo not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus [is yours]. (Philippians 4:6-7 AMP)

Thoughts of lack  God, my shepherd! I don’t need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction. (Psalm 23:1-3 MSG)

Thoughts of worthlessness – The Lord your God is with you; the mighty One will save you. He will rejoice over you. You will rest in his love; he will sing and be joyful about you. (Zephaniah 3:17 NCV)

Thoughts of envyLove is large and incredibly patient. Love is gentle and consistently kind to all. It refuses to be jealous when blessing comes to someone else. Love does not brag about one’s achievements nor inflate its own importance. (1 Corinthians 13:4 TPT)

His love covers all. And when we turn our thoughts to how much He loves us, those depressing and fearful thoughts will vanish like the fog under the sun. We can take these scriptures along with others and place our own name in them as we apply them to our situations.

As we learn to make our thoughts obedient to Christ, we are becoming  Titus 2 women who are teachers of good things (Titus 2:3). 

What is your remedy for taking every thought captive? Join the conversation and share your thoughts.

How do we take every thought captive? (click to tweet)

To take negative thoughts captive, we must change thechannel. Do a turn around of thoughts. Replace them with God’s thoughts andwords. (click to tweet)

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Far from mastering this, as many of us are I think, a key for me is asking God to grant me His filter for my mouth each day. Living in this fallen world, I can't always stop all the negative inputs into my mind. Sadly, my eyes are seeing more and more of it with each passing day. What I can do is filter it through God's word. His teaching gives us a way to escape every temptation; and I am often tempted to speak my mind and not God's. When it happens, and it does, I realize I'm letting this world get the best of me and I need to gain more self-control over my thoughts and actions. I'm often reminded of Paul's word in Romans 7:15-20. I also remind myself to extend a little grace to me. I'm not there yet, but with God's continued help, I'm on my way. God's blessings ma'am; and thank you for these great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's Word is our filter and I like the way you said that. I'm not there either, J.D. I guess none of us will be until we stand before the Savior. But we can keep getting better with that pure filter as long as we have it in place. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I love J.D.‘s reminder to extend a little grace to myself. As I walk with God, He reminds me that I am His and He accepts me in every moment , lovingly bringing me close to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patricia, He gives us grace and we should accept it for ourselves. He knows we are not perfect but He loves us anyway. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I’m still learning this process, but writing a verse on a card that counteracts the negative thought is helpful. Thank you for writing this excellent post, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jeannie, writing them down helps to embed the message into our minds. I like to to that also. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Such wisdom in your message, Barbara. Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy. Our thoughts often carry us down the path of doubt, fear, and failure. You've shared strategies that work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I agree with you. Our mind can be our worst enemy. So grateful our Lord gave us medicine for the mind with His word. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

      Delete